Being a photography enthusiast, people often ask me why I’m not Instagramming. Here’s why:
- I don’t believe in the company.
- The constraints present are not useful constraints for me. I get to choose my constraints. It’s one of the advantages of being an amateur.
- Blogging is better for me. Books are best for me, but the blog post has become the default unit of publishing, from which all other forms of modern publishing seem to diverge. It dies every year and is reborn. It puts the viewer first. It puts the creator in charge.
- I don’t need another input or output. I need less of most things, and the elimination of the rest.
- It’s stressful for me.
- I want readers, not followers.
If you really want to see my stuff, come to me. I am not a professional photographer and I am not seeking approval. My time and attention is too valuable to me to spend on Instagram.