Skip to content

career

Members Public

"Sources of Personal Competitive Advantage"

Shane Parrish is collecting a list on Twitter of sources of personal competitive advantage [https://twitter.com/farnamstreet/status/1090810681383780352]. Readers soon joined in and now it’s a long thread that received the following response from business author Kevin Kruse: > “If he doesn’t turn this into a book,

Members Public

This Quote Scares the Hell Out of Me

> "Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment and especially on their children than the unlived life of the parent.” — Carl Jung This quote freaks parents out. Google it and read about heads exploding. Parents love to beat themselves up about their choices. Couple this with the book everyone

Members Public

The Value of Attention

I see it all the time. A big-name author or rock star enjoys the adulation of millions of fans, but takes home a fraction of the income of a C-level executive or investor. Both envy each other, but I don't know anyone who would honestly take fame over money. In

Members Public

Self Awareness is Underrated

Of all the "Letters of Note" I've read, none of have come closer to my world view of than this one from H.L. Menken in 1931 [http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/01/on-meaning-of-life.html]: > "I go on working for the same reason that a hen goes on laying eggs.

Members Public

Independence Day

The bank I write for, and have worked at for 16 years, is finally calling it quits. My last day is May 31st. I'm lucky to have options as a writer. Not many in finance do. Automation has killed a lot of their jobs. We've heard it for years; if

Members Public

The Biggest Regret of My Career

Last week, I attempted to explain why it’s not always a great idea to put your work out there in any old form towards the goal of “being noticed.” Of course, this was written from my usual pro-hobbyist bias, as the great majority of my readers are hobbyist photographers

Members Public

The Economy that Never Dies

Hugh MacLeod [http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=028de8672d5f9a229f15e9edf&id=187680278e#awesomeshare] : > "Business Insider projected in 2015 that over the next twenty years, we’ll lose 47% of our jobs to robots. So what’s protecting the other 53%? > Creativity. The fundamentals of humanity. > We will always need music, photography, books,

Members Public

Why a Nuclear Physicist Waits Tables at Olive Garden

I went to Olive Garden last night with the family, because we had a gift card. I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much. It had been years since I set foot in an Olive Garden. Our server was an unusual dude. He was middle aged with disheveled hair. He was also

Members Public

The Advantage of Invisibility

Few people are really “following” your work. Even fewer care. What are you doing with that freedom?

Members Public

"Photographer" Among Worst Jobs of 2015

Once again, the job of Photographer lands near the bottom of the annual CareerCast.com list of best/worst careers at #171 of 200, with an average income of $29,267.00. Go Amateur.